Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Exorcism of Emily Rose


As those of you who knew me, I'm a sucker for horror movies. I love ghost movies and stuffs. I don't really fear them last time but now I don't know why I jump at the slightest sound. There was once when I had to go to the bathroom at night and my mum woke up for the same reason. We didn't turn on the lights coz there's hardly anyone apart from me going to toilet in the wee hours. So when I saw her, OMG she gave me such a scare that I practically jumped and let out a small scream. She too, was shocked to see me but even more shocked at my scream. And then my idiotic pet terrapin, she's always crawling around my living room and kitchen. These days she'd started to develop some kind of feet fetish I think. She'd come beside me (my leg) and then smell it. Or sometimes when she merely brushed past my feet. My heart couldn't take these. I mean, imagine you are watching a movie to intently and then suddenly something cold touched your feet. Aren't you SHOCKED!? I was beyond shock! It happened so many times! This morning too! I let out a scream when she did that and my mom gave me "that look" saying I should have realized she's nearby. SO? I couldn't expect what 'timing' she was gonna come around and touch me!!!

But no, the freakiest thing was that yesterday I was bored, plus the fact I had been craving for some horror movies. I flipped through my DVD booklet and then saw 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose'. I watched it 2 years back at the cinema with my friends. Back then, it didn't really met my expectations coz I was looking forward to something like 'The Exorcist'. So now 2 years later I saw the DVD (my mom bought it) and decided to watched it again since I'd forgotten about some of the scenes. And no doubt, I was totally engrossed in the movie this time. I don't know why this time when I watched it, it was really spooky. By the whole concept and all. Yes, I couldn't sleep at night after that. I got really scared. at 2.30am I looked at the clock and realized I'm only 30 minutes away from the demon's witching hour. As described in the movie, 3am is the demon's to mock the Jesus's holy time 3pm. As time drew near, Iurged myself to stop the music and prepare myself for bed. Then a second thought sprang into my mind, if I do go to bed before that I would be alone in my bedroom at 3am which is an even scarier thought. I decided its best to remain where I am until it's past 3am. Thank god nothing weird happened and around 3.15 I went into my room to sleep. But no, I couldn't sleep at all. I toss and turn and got really scared. I brought my laptop in and put on music. I also left the light on in my room. If I could, I'll leave every single corner of my house's light on!


In 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose', a priest, Father Moore is charged with negligence over the care of Emily Rose which was entrusted to him. Erin Bruner on the other hand acts as Father Moore's defense lawyer. Erin is a strict and no-nonsense woman. She would try any means to help her client and achieve what she'd wanted: a senior post in her law firm. Erin was under attack by the demons as well because there are dark forces encircling the case. The story then travels back to the time when Emily Rose was still alive and how her traumatic experiences began as the trial proceeds.


Emily Rose is a girl in her 19s or so, who left her home to study in the university when she received a scholarship. She stayed in the dorm and though everything seemed perfect at first, it soon turned into a nightmare for her. Emily started to see hallucinations and couldn't control her body at will sometimes. She was hospitalised and doctors gave her medications-Gambutrol as she was diagnosed with epileptic. But the medication did not help her, and as a matter of fact might have turned her condition worse. Soon after that Emily was brought home. She couldn't continue with her studies any longer given the state she was in. Emily's parents then requested Father Moore, their family priest to help Emily.



After confirming that Emily had been possessed by 6 demons (among them Nero, Cain, Judas, Lucifer, Belial), Father Moore proceeds with exorcism to drive these demons away. However the exorcism failed and Emily continued in her worsen condition. She then passed away on a natural death and that was when Father Moore was arrested. Even so, he doesn't care what would happen to him because what he wanted to do was to be able to tell Emily's story as stated in her will. Of course, if you were to watch the movie, I'm not going to spoil the main content which was in Emily's will--that states the reason why she had to suffer all these pain.




It's really worth a watch. I won't really compare it with 'The Exorcist' coz both has a somewhat different element in it. The story of Emily Rose does not only intends to show the horror side of it but also the touching tale of Anneliese Michel, the person whom Jennifer (something) portrays as Emily Rose. Oh, didn't I mention that Emily Rose's is based on a real story? You can read the real tale behind it at: http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_1253.html

That was because I got too caught up in the movie (though 2 years late haha) and began to look for articles or stuffs to read on Anneliese Michel. It was sad though that both Anneliese's parents and the two priests who performed the exorcism was sentenced to half years each for negligence. Of course, its the court we are talking about. Only FACTS matters right? But I don't think that life is all about that. There are things out there that cannot be explained even by science alone. Moreover they do exists, whether you believe them or not.

No comments: